Thursday, May 11, 2006

Cable Schmable (a GFRS unblog)



Usukof village is buzzing (both with activity and mosquitoes). The projection system is being setup and the air is thick with excitement. Everything seems to be in place. Tonight, we are updating the community on the clan boundry demarcation work in the paradise forest with a little slideshow.

Laptop computer... check.
LCD projector... check.
Power generator... check.
Presentation CD-ROM... check.
Projection sheet... check.
Proper connections between computer and projector...

Alas, the VGA cable we bought along refuses to insert itself into both the computer and the projector. We scratch our heads.

Scratch, scratch, scratch... (out here in mozzie central, I find myself scratching more than my head... I resist)

Unfortunately, the only solution we have is to come back another day. Well, We can also simply play back the slide show from the laptop screen, but I reckon having 200 people looking into a tiny 15" computer screen is not so bright an idea.

At this point, I can't help but think of how technology can be so absurd. It's unbelievable how a small little cable is able to stop a show from going on. I reckon if the tables are turned and the locals were to give us a presentation, they'll be able to fix whatever glitches in a matter of minutes. All that needs to be done is a quick walk into the forest and the missing part would be readily available.

There was a slight air of disappointment... the slideshow is suppposed to be a highlight for the community tonight. Fortunately, in true Lake Murray style, things lighten up soon enough; our attempt to setup the projector was a spectacle in itself. Goodbyes are exchanged and hands are shaken as we depart from Usukof. Secretly, I'm glad that the presentation didn't happen tonight, that means we'll have to come back to Usukof again (which I really like).

We are scheduled to return next Wednesday. In the mean time I think I'll go into the bush with a bow and arrow and go hunting for a VGA cable.

No comments: