Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Here's A Thousand Words (a GFRS blog)

I want to write alot of things about the logging industry here in Papua
New Guinea. Especially about how so many Malaysian companies are
involved in the destruction of the paradise forest.

About 80% of the logging companies occupying Papua New Guinea are from
Malaysia. Very often, despite having permits to log in PNG, most of the
operations are conducted illegally; where massive blocks of forest are
cleared and the rights of the local community gravely violated...
leaving landowners with 3 kinas (about 1 USD) for every cubic meter of
timber logged when it fetches 1000 times more in the foreign
marketplace, and no forest to fend their livelihoods with.

It pains me that my fellow countryfolks are conducting such atrocities
to the people of PNG. Today, when we were at the school for a small
presentation, I hung my head low and apologized to the children for what
Malaysia is doing to PNG.

"Hi, I'm Chi from Malaysia... don't worry, I'm not here to take your
forests, I'm here to help you save it"

I looked at them, I see the future of Lake Murray and PNG in their
eyes... I became more ashamed... I hung my head lower.

There are alot more that I want to write about, but unfortunately can't.
I asked the good doctor, Reza to take a photo of me. As cliched as it
may might sound, but they say a picture says a thousand words... here's
a thousand words.



pix description : breaking the silence, courtesy of Reza Hossain (the
good doctor).

No comments: