Friday, January 25, 2008

Pip Starr - An Obituary



Pip passed away for reasons that remain a mystery to all that know him. His death is a great loss to the documentary filmmaking community in Australia and the world over.

Though my periods of knowing Pip was mostly spent wading in the 'swimming pool' at Lake Murray with all the other GFRS vollies, discussing pretty much everything (though most of it is usually a load of nonsense, well, we were all in a pool of water in our underpants) under the sun; It was through Pip that I sat under the bodhi tree of documentary filmmaking enlightenment.

I went to Papua New Guinea and I told myself 'OK, I'm gonna make a documentary'... only to realize that I have no bloody idea how to make one. I was flabbergasted.

After a week of filming and still having no idea what I was doing, Pip screened his film 'The Okapa Connection' and I went 'Eureka! By jove, that's how you make a documentary!'. Of course, I then proceeded to pick his brains during the little time he has left in Lake Murray.

I would not go as far as to say that Pip will be dearly missed as we rarely kept in touch with each other. However, Pip will always be remembered as an inspiration in my long journey ahead as I strive to become a documentary filmmaker.

My condolences to his boyfriend, family, and all that holds him dear to their hearts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cathy