Sunday, August 19, 2007

All That Jazz

Over the weekend, I went to two jazz thingamajiggas on two consecutive nights.

thingamajigga numero uno...

'Jazz And Your Sense Of Humour' at the Top Room on Friday night.

The David Gomez Trio collaborates with a few people from Instant Cafe Theatre... Junji, Maya Tan, Shantini Venugopal, and Edwin Sumun. There were 3 sets altogether, 2 of them was the trio playing with either one of the ICT people singing. Maya, Shantini, and Edwin are like totally jazz virgins, and for virgins I have to say they put up a really good show. I especially enjoyed Edwin's sets... very entertaining, the only downside to it was that David's grand piano had an open top. It would have been nice to see Edwin climb on top of the piano doing the tra la la with David. The third set, was the ICT people performing some new musical material written by Junji, which I soon realize that I've been Junji's guinea pig while we were recording in the studio these past couple of wewks. Despite that, it was still funny... no one was spared, Dr.M, Pak Lah, Namewee, Mat Rempits, even Gloria Arroyo. Best 35 ringgit I spent for the week. Though it's kinda weird to have to pay to watch the David Gomez trio play when I usually get paid to listen to them play.


'The Sunrise Digi Jazz Festival' at Sunrise Plaza Mont' Kiara on Saturday night.

Bleah. If they mean Jazz Festival as in Jazz as in how I would say '...you know, and all that jazz' as in how I would say '...you know, and all that shit', then yes, this would then be a Jazz Festival. When we arrived, Shannon Shah was playing. Please excuse me, I really like Shannon... but seriously, jazz he is not... neither would people like Zainal Abidin, Sheila Majid, nor APU (with all due respect, I like APU too) should be considered jazz (unless of you're one of those people whose point of reference for jazz is Dave Koz and Kenny G). It is sad, but one can see how uncomfortable Shannon was on stage (far cry from the Shannon I usually watch)... I don't blame him, with a sound engineer like the one that mixed for the event, I would be too. This sound dude singlehandedly changed the name of the festival to 'The Sunrise Digi Kick Drum Festival'. I can't hear nothing but the kick drum. Shanon's voice was drowned in so much reverb I can barely hear what he's saying even when he is just bantering, what more when the band kicks in. Shanon's piano? His piano was like a mythical creature that everyone has heard of from someone else, but will never hear of themselves.

Then next came 'Funk Mob', a band headlined by John Thomas... Josie Thomas' son. I first heard John play about 8 years ago I think...then he was still a teenager. Back then, I felt that he had technique, but lacked soul. Unfortunately, now that he's 23 already, he still lacks soul, but I'll give him credit for having improved his technique. I'd hate to say this (thank god no one reads this blog), but the 'Funk Mob' unfortunately feels like nothing more than a masturbatory band made up of a bunch of kids who are eager to show the world how great they are with their instruments. Throughout the 2 songs that I cared to stay back for, every single member of the band performed a solo which they took all the way to China (and sometimes Alaska) before coming back to earth... the solos are impressive, but does nothing for the song itself.

Sigh... and fucking hell, 'Tonight only, Parking : RM 6 per entry'... what a rip off. Bastards.

It is unfortunate, but I think after Friday nite at Top Room, the 'Jazz' fest just paled in comparison... will definitely not go again.

disclaimer: I am not a qualified music critic, neither am I a qualified critic of any sort. If you are unhappy or disagree with this post, I would suggest that you go to the Sunrise Digi Jazz Festival.

No comments: