Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Origins Of Rain

After a few days of working really hard (though the term 'working really hard' is a very questionalbe and objective term. I will still stand my ground to use it anyway), I decided that today will be a day which I shall entitle 'In Pursuit of Laziness: How To Enjoy Life To It's Most Minimum'. Up to now, you must be wondering what the fuck am I talking about. Well... frankly if I can give my days such titles, I don't really need to care about such things isn't it.

Anyway, if that was the title of a book, I reckon it would be a really thin book with lots of illustrations. A person who is lazy enough to want to read a book like that would probably be too lazy to read isn't it... so illustrations would work much better.

I shall call Chapter One of 'In Pursuit of Laziness' (hereon shall be refered to as 'POLIS'), 'How To Do Nothing While Watching TV'...

"If you're gonna be a POLIS, I strongly sugest that you learn to watch as much TV as you can . Watching TV in essence is probably the only beneficial activity you can participate in while remaining in a state of inactivity. While you're at it you can pick up random nuggets of information that, as a POLIS it will cause you appear to be much more intelligent that you actually deserve to be. I cannot further stress the importance of this activity. This will be the only activity that will stir your mind to work and absorb knowledge while at the comforts of your couch, as opposed to say eating, sleeping, or holding down a real job (Yes, in future chapters, you will learn that you can actually be a POLIS while actually holding down a real job... in fact a lot of people already do. But being the idealistic bastard that I am, I refuse to compromise on the true principles of POLIS and not have a real job).

"I will now give you an example of things you can learn from merely watching the telly. It happened this morning as I stumbled upon 'The World Of Suzie Wong', a classic 1970s film about an American artist, Robert, who falls in love with a prostitute, Suzie, while in Hong Kong.

"While painting Suzie... she sang a song to Robert which says...



" 'One day... a male cloud fell in love with a female cloud... but female cloud says to male cloud "I no like you, you heart no good". The male cloud was devastated, he went away and began to cry... that's how rain was created. When he cried, the rain nourished the soil, provided water, and help the crops grow for the people down on earth. Then when female cloud sees what is going on, she became impressed. She went to the male cloud and said 'You help people down there, you heart good. Me like you now'... And they rained happily ever after.' And that way the origin of rain'

"Pretty cool eh... though the knowledge gained has no real practical purpose, but I assure you that it would be a piece of information that many will find amusing, in case if you have the rare burden of attending an event that forces you to move your ass off your couch.

"There you go, don't just be a POLIS, be a slightly intelligent POLIS... it'll go a long way."

That's chapter one of the ultimate bumming guide... stay tuned for more chapters of POLIS.

ps: Given that this blog has some Hong Kongese content in it... I would like to dedicate this blog to my favourite Hong Kongese (even though I only know one), the madly irrerevent Cathy Chan.

pss: There is a built in webcam on my new MacBook. Along with that is this software called the "Photo Booth", which has to be one of the most narcissistic tools ever. Being the narc that I am, I took a photo of myself... enjoy.

No comments: